Saturday the 24th June saw Chard’s inaugural town crier competition – and what an amazing day it was. Sixteen criers and their consorts from across the country were wonderfully hosted by Stuart and Vivienne Cumming.
Stuart would like to thank the traders in Holyrood Street for allowing the criers to be outside their businesses, and sincerely hopes they had good business from the occasion. Thanks also must go to the Mayor and Town Clerk for being an integral part of the day. It was a massive team work effort so thanks also go to the volunteers, Chard 1st Scouts, town council, amenities and Guildhall staff, the judges, the caterer, Helen Roberts for the amazing cake, Paul Brown for the amazing trophies, Dave Sibley and the Andy Monks for the official photographs, and everyone else involved in the day.
Thanks definitely go to each and every one of the competitors. Among the Criers we had a real life Chelsea Pensioner in The Royal Hospital uniform and a crier from Yorkshire whose Great Grandfather is on our war memorial. A most memorable day.
- 1st – Mark Wylie from Calne
- 2nd – Roger Pinder from Kingsbridge
- 3rd – Ros Charlton Chard from Hatherleigh
- Best dressed Crier – Jane Smith from Bognor Regis
- Best dressed Consort – Kassa from Honiton
- Best dressed Couple – Nick and Sandra Goodwin from Axminster